Monday, March 7, 2011



In thinking of ways on how I can really make this a personal blog I thought to share  a personal decision I made.
It is recently that I have taken up this new way of eating; it can really change things up and force you to become aware of what you eat.
People call it being a Vegan.
About 3 years ago I had heard lots of hype about this diet and although had considered it, it was more of a drastic change than what I was willing to make.
If you’re unfamiliar with Veganism I will give you a novice’s take on it.
First, its only similarity to vegetarianism is meat and fish are not on the menu.
Essentially, it is a plant-based diet.

*You cut out all meats and animal biproducts that include dairy, eggs and even honey.

*Sugar and sugar substitutes need not apply.
(Think splenda, sweet n low, corn syrup, refined white sugar.)

*Grains and pastas are allowed being that they are whole grain.
(Think whole-wheat pasta, quinoa, oats, rye, barley, unrefined goodness.)

*Caffeine is a big no-no.
            (Starbucks? Wherefore art thou, Starbucks?!)


After a while, you start to ask, well what is allowable? What else can I eat?
As I said, it is plant based so it is all about getting in your fruits and veggies as well as whole grains and good starches.


 
 To be honest I have found freedom and enjoyment in trying to figure out other ways to concoct my meals. No, I do not just eat tofu or granola, which would be plain old boring and a common misconception.

Truth be told:
I have found that there is a burning passion for avocados within me.

Adam actually likes the meat substitutes, especially the Gardein Mandarin Chk’n.

Almond butter tastes better than the peanut kind and almond milk is delish!

I am not as co-dependent on venti iced coffees as I thought.

Those little lemonade packets by crystal light help me to get in my 64 oz. of water.

Vegan cheese does not compare to the real stuff. It just does not. Not bad, but not cheddar by any stretch of the imagination.

I cheat by drinking chai tea in the morning even though it has caffeine. Sue me.


.
I bet you’re wondering why, right?
Well, I flirted with the idea for a while but was not ready to give many of my favorite foods up.
While watching a talk show a few weeks ago I saw a woman, Kathy Freston, advertising her new book, The Veganist. Instead of talking of all the things you cannot have, she spoke of all that you could. Her simple approach got me thinking of what was out there food wise that I wasn’t exploring. I wanted a change and felt like I could handle it.
Another person whose passion and knowledge I've gravitated to is Alicia Silverstone. Clueless, anyone?
Yes she is a vegan and animal rights activist but also an author of The Kind Diet. From her book and website I've gained lots of information. On top of those two fabulous ladies I have really done my research and feel this is a choice that will benefit my health in the long run.
I tried it for one day…then I tried it the next….and then the day after and just wanted to see how far it would take me. Once you figure out the items you truly can’t live without you work out other options. There are subs for butter, cheese, milk, yogurt, cream cheese, ground beef, chicken, even beef tips!

This entire post was not to tell people to become vegans (unless of course you’d like to) but to share a little part of a decision I made.
If you are interested, I can pass on some life saving snack options but otherwise maybe it just let you in on something you’ve never heard of.

Have a lovely day; I’ll talk to you soon!
Xoxo .bd

{Photo Credits: Tartelette Blog & BDWWD }

1 comment:

  1. we did at 28 day vegan challenge at work last year and it was surprising how much you CAN eat. now we are just vegetarian, and use dairy substitutes most of the time. a book i really like is called "feeding the whole family" which has lots of recipes using whole grains and vegetables.

    ReplyDelete