Wednesday, August 4, 2010


Over the weekend Adam and I took a short trip to Chattanooga for our first vacation since the honeymoon.
We wanted to go some place close without a lot of drive time but also somewhere that has activities we'd be interested in.
We left Friday afternoon and checked into our hotel after getting a little turned around leading us to Georgia. 
Our room was so nice with a king size bed and flat screen, we are so thankful to his dad for giving us that as a gift.
We opted for a trip to the local mall although it was closing when we arrived so we decided to get our bearings straight with the downtown area. Lucky for us there was a biker convention. Oh joy.
Already I was impressed with Chattanooga; there were lots of people walking around, sitting at outdoor eateries and the streets were very clean.
Note: All the pictures posted today are from my blackberry. We searched high and low for my camera only to realize it was no where in sight so we bought a disposable camera. If I get a digital copy of the pictures I'll try to post them soon.
Saturday morning we had the luxury of sleeping in and watching Father of the Bride.
Our first Chattanooga adventure was The Tennessee Aquarium. Adam, as I've mentioned before, is enthralled by all sea life. If there's an aquarium nearby we're going in. There are two large buildings filled with every fish imaginable including a sea horse, butterfly and jelly fish exhibit. Midway through our tour the heavens opened up for a thunderstorm leaving everyone outside running for cover. 
At some point we walked around downtown to purchase non other than my absolute favorite, gelato! Coconut and chocolate cheesecake please!!

Following the aquarium we ventured out to a few other districts that friends told us to check out. 
First was Rembrandt's Coffee House in the Bluff View Art District. After multiple people suggesting this place I knew it would be great. I loved the exterior most. An upscale coffee shop with an array of coffees, lattes, deserts, and sandwiches; I was in heaven. 
Hubby found a new favorite, Orangina!
Look at all of the goodies! That's only 1 case out of 4 I think filled with cakes, cookies, chocolates and macaroons.
Frizzy hair after the rain and my iced cappuccino!

We drove around for at least an hour seeing all that the city has to offer finding our way to another district, North Shore, which reminded me of Nashville's Hillsboro Village. {Thank you to Ashleigh for recommending this area!}
Boutiques, a donut shop where we picked up a couple treats of course, Blue Skies and a brewery find for Adam. He was disappointed they had yet to open but we've already made plans to visit for a tasting.
I can't tell you how much we did on Saturday....we walked, shopped, visited, ate, walked some more and discovered a great city! We never did what most people typically do like Ruby Falls, Rock City or Lookout Mountain. 
For us we were more interested in finding out where the locals go than paying $15 each for views and water falls lit up. 
Sunday we slept in again and made a b-line for Aretha Frankenstein's. Yes, Frankenstein's.
In the same vicinity as North Shore, it's a restaurant with mostly breakfast items. 

There's limited seating, with most of it being outside or on the railing of the porch, the charm is definitely present. Their kitchen is miniature but they made the most amazing french toast I've ever ever ever eaten.
We  were so impressed! If you ever find your self itching for pancakes or omelets, please hop on over to Aretha's.
With nothing planned for the day we decided to find our own views by driving up all of the hills. On our trek we saw this sign.
Can you imagine? In the middle of the mountains I see a Starbucks sign.
We followed all of the arrows to find
Dissapointed by their service as the manage scoffed loudly at our drink choice I still enjoy the fact that Starbucks is directly across from Rock City.
Like I said we didn't actually go to Rock City but I thought I'd share a picture at least.

Sorry for the length of the post, quite long I know! 
But that was our anniversary weekend in a nutshell. I hope yours was just as eventful!
xoxo .bd


No comments:

Post a Comment