Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Mise en Place


"Mise en place" is a french term meaning "setting in place."

Ever since we moved into our home a little over a month ago I have made it my duty as a wife and also for our sanity to put items away in their own respective homes.
As with my linens and books I cook in the same manner.
Before I begin a meal (attempt would be more like it) I try to make sure I have all ingredients chopped, prepped and measured so everything will go as smoothly as possible. As for today before another attempt at cooking is made, I gather only the most random ingredients left in the fridge and prep. Think....concoct.....what can be made? I decided it was time for soup. Everything but the kitchen sink would go into this pot. Some chicken broth, kale, can of stewed tomatoes, 1 clove of garlic, green onion, yellow onion, ground turkey and some potatoes. I boiled all of those ingredients in hopes that it might just cure this rainy days blues.

All of my utensils have their spots as do the plates and pans but sadly my storage and pantry is pretty lacking. Honestly, we only have 4 cabinets and 4 drawers! Seeing as there's not a space for our food we've found shelving units with canvas boxes to house our kashi bars and canned green beans. After living here for a month and cooking most every night I find that my desire for different ingredients and more spacious storage has grown. I'm thinking of adding shelves above the stove for a pretty way to display mixing bowls and my favorite vintage plates.  Until those handy days are here, I will be inspired by these:


                              Photo by Michel Arnaud, Good Housekeeping, July 2007. 






We have a larrrge bowl of granny smith apples on the counter and I do believe before they go bad I will make some sort of dessert out of them now. Pictures to follow tomorrow.
Wish me betty crocker luck, please :)
betsy.davis

{Photos at top of page credited to: Desire to Inspire

No comments:

Post a Comment