Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Birthday, Moving and Reminiscing...

So as you can see through my obsession with Instagram, I had quite a busy yet fun weekend.
We arrived in NC at 3 am on Friday and only slept for a few (literally) hours until we had to buck up and start packing. It was so sweet to be with all of my family to reminisce about the smell of Papa’s home or how we couldn’t ever go in the front room to the bowls we would eat cereal out of. Also, I found it very apparent who I got my jewelery obsession from, my grandma. That lady had boxes and boxes and boxes of necklaces, rings, bracelets, watches, earrings, baubles…you name it, the stash was over flowing.  
It may not have been the most typical birthday but it sure has become one of my favorites as we will never be able to celebrate there again.
On Friday night we went out to my favorite Mexican restaurant in Forest City called Mi Pueblitos. Don’t get it twisted, hands down the best fajita quesadilla on the planet.
We stayed up late packing and woke up the next morning to have many, many helping hands from the church weused to attend. They have a team called ‘Hearts with Hands’ that rocked out the entire moving process. All of the furniture and boxes (for the most part) were in both moving vans within one and a half hours of them arriving. What?! We were so blessed by their help and would not have been able to get it done as quickly had they not been there. Thank you, Cornerstone!
Saturday night we drove to Spartanburg, SC–about a 30 minute drive- for dinner at the famous Beacon restaurant. Double burgers slathered in onions, cole-slaw by the pound and a heart attack not to mention piles of french-fries.I hadn’t been to the Beacon since I was little and seeing as I got 2 days worth of calories in ½ of a burger…it might be a few years before I decide to revisit.

More reminiscing was had, jokes were told and the rest of the dust was swept from the corners. It is sad knowing that I will never be able to go back to that house and have it look the same or even that town. I will forever remember learning to put on makeup with my grandma for the first time, having Christmas in the basement, being scared of the storage room, “hiking” in the backyard, the creepy doll that sat atop the dresser in the kids room for all those years, the uncomfortable waterbed….the list goes on. Frankly, unless you’ve been there this entire post is probably boring but it's good to put my thoughts somewhere. Thank you for actually reading!
The drive home on Sunday was interesting as Adam drove the large moving van through the mountains before the sun even came up! Our view from the cab was amazing and we even saw a few snow flurries! We unloaded all of our things that morning and have gotten back to the hustle and bustle of the week. I think I need to recuperate!
 Have a wonderful hump day...can you believe it's already Wednesday???
I'll talk to you soon!
xoxo bd



2 comments:

  1. we went to the beacon on our anniversary trip and felt SO SICK the rest of the day! we each got a small fish plate and could hardly eat any of it! so much food!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right! I never actually saw them prepare the food but my sister in law did and said that after seeing them slap together the burgers, she decided to order bar b q. We only ate half and left the rest...uggghh.

      Delete